Friday, April 30, 2010

04.30 SWEDISH BERRIES

I met Rasmus and Camilla last year in Gothenburg, at the wedding of our mutual friends, Helena and Hristo. It is a Swedish tradition to lay out the seating plan at a weddings so that couples and friends are split, to encourage mingling among the guest list. It is a beautiful idea - I had attended the wedding single, with my friends Marieke and Barend, and for once wasn't left bitter by an overdose of romantic antics.

I was seated beside Rasmus, and we soon found common ground in the subject of sweets - this before the first course was even served. Indeed, we had plenty in common and the conversation flowed about as fast as the liquor. Before the night was over, we had agreed to exchange candy from our respective countries - Last winter I sent him a bag of Maynard's Swedish Berries, of course.

As it happens, Rasmus and Camilla were visiting London this weekend. We met for lunch in Leadenhall and I was pleasantly surprised first when they presented a quirky paper lunch-bag full of their own version of the berry candy, which they don't call Swedish because that would just be redundant, or like calling muffins English.

Rasmus and Camilla were engaged recently, and said they will stick to the seating plan tradition - I can only wish that their occasion sparks similar friendships, and perhaps even international sugar trade.