Monday, June 7, 2010

06.07 PINE CONE

It's not an acorn. Nope. It's a pine cone. I should know these things. A senior moment - or perhaps a sign I've been living in the city too long.

Maddy is diligent, careful, outlining the scales of the cone, rubbing in the shadows and blending in the shape. It's a handmade gift card, which I hope the recipient appreciates. Her medium is charcoal, a messy option, and her fingers are blackened by it.

I'm not sure why she chose the pine cone as her subject for the drawing. I don't know much about cones, so googled. Surprise - the cone is an organ and contains the reproductive structures of the pine - releasing seeds! (I'll be an expert on this in just a few more google searches). The female cone is the most distinguishable, and is often used to recognize species of trees. The one on our dining table must be a chick.

It's also just an attractive subject for a drawing I suppose.