Wednesday, August 1, 2007

08.01 MOVEMENT SCIENCE

With a background in Kinesiology I should have more confidence in physical therapy practices. It wasn't until my right limb had me teetering precariously with every step before I made arrangements to see my friend and physiotherapist Charlotte Loaring

In a single treatment she identified the potential cause of my right limb pain as a weakness in my gluteus medius. Time to get my butt in gear according to this prognosis

Limited strength around my right hip is causing this joint to drop with every step, throwing my gait out of line. The result is a cascade of mild injuries resulting from chronic stress. Damn marathon training.

A second and unusual problem spot is my right big toe. Instead of grounding my foot to balance every step it departs from the ground placing most of the impact on my already pancaked arch.

Its an ugly sight to see me run in slow motion.

After adjusting my ankle joint, stretching my metatarsals, and performing acupuncture along my right limb, Charlotte sent me off with a series of balance and strengthening exercises which should keep my injuries at bay at least until my training slows.

A reminder to this BHK that movement is indeed a science.