Friday, April 24, 2009

04.24 BANANAS

On our way to the countryside in Devon for some cottage country fun for Lex's birthday. I've decided on a banana-themed present for her birthday after having promised her that I wouldn't bake her with a banana cake in an attempt at some kind of reverse-psychology tactic of surprising her.

The gift bag, a recycled grocery bag, was decorated with a poem:
'Roses are red, bananas are yellow, hope that your birthday is as good as jello'.
My apologies for that one.

It also contained a banana badge, the simplified bananafied version of a Rubrik's cube, banana-coloured nail varnish, a banana coaster with a witty birthday-themed remark that I can't, for the life of me, remember (I'm suspecting 'it's not your birthday if you don't go bananas' or something along those lines), and, of course, a chocolate chip walnut banana cake (aka banana bread in Canada).

Somehow, the package still wasn't complete. I called on Kat and Paul for ideas, and Paul kindly offered his illustration skills which, before now, we all thought was limited to drawings only of bunnies doing what bunnies do most. But he managed to pull of this Warhol/Banksy-fusion-style banane. At least Paul is full of surprises.