Wednesday, April 1, 2009

04.01 G20 PROTESTS

I work around the corner from the Bank of England and made my way to the protests this afternoon. It was a spectacle!! Just AMAZING to see so many people out rallying!! I first meandered through the 'Climate Corner', where hundreds of friendly hippies had taken over Bishop's Gate St, camped in tents and kicked off a jamboree - all in the name of Nature. There was even a bake sale...(but I wouldn't trust the brownies weren't just made of cocoa). Anyways, it was a peaceful protest, as you would expect, with most of the crowd mellowed out with spliff-in-mouth...

Around the corner, however, was the chaos at The Bank - the crowd was raucous but not yet violent at the time I made my way through, so I joined in with some rants and chants about the state of the economy. There were some pin-striped bankers with the nerve to indulge on oysters and champagne in a building atop the crowd - or so that was the rumour going round - and I'm imagining the bottles I heard smashing were aimed at them. Wankers. As it was starting to get ugly, I got my money shots and made a mad dash.