Sunday, January 6, 2008

01.06 ONLINE

I show my age when I marvel at modern day technology.

(And I am but a spring chicken in comparison to the global mean age. )

Still I grew up in a world of Commodore 64s, played Super Mario Bros, and taped my favourite cartoons on VHS.

That's going back a few decades.

This afternoon, I signed onto Skype. It was marvellous. Despite the generation gap, my parents and I were made simultaneously giddy by the fact that we could chat live and audibly anytime, any day.

It was two years ago in my offline photo-journal that I have a similar snapshot when my mom first logged onto Messenger. That got old fast, though, and we reverted to telephone calls, generously and thriftily initiated from their line to my own.

By the look on my mother's face this time though, there's no going back.