Tuesday, January 8, 2008

01.08 FRANCI

Franci arrived and unloaded stuff, lots of stuff, into her previously vacant room.

She returns from exchange studies at Deakin in Melbourne - the same uni where I wasted more brain cells than I developed only four years ago.

(I do remember one challenging assignment on watersports injury where I learned that you can lacerate your legs if you're not gripping the cord correctly. Ick. I'd rather swim with the tiger sharks on Fraser Island.)

Likewise, she had an amazing time.

The experience of an overseas exchange, at her age - at my age minus four years - is remarkable, not for what you learn in the classroom but from what you manage to absorb alongside the steady stream of red wine.

It is equally overwhelming. And I can see that she's a bit stressed about reverting to her usual and no unusual ways. I hope she finds some solace in sharing her travel stories with me. Likewise, I dont mind looking back at my own antics in Australia.

It is a coincidence that we have the Deakin exchange in common, that we've travelled the same Great Ocean Road, that we've partied at the same campus pub - and now our path's cross again. Only this time we're in the very same place at the very same time.

We spent the arvo chatting over bickies and tea.