Sunday, January 27, 2008

01.27 NEW DO

I have a history of random and sporadic hair cuts.

Like the time I hit the barber shop on a Saturday night in hamilton. Out of romantic tension an urgency for distraction and need for a change I raced to the only open venue for a new do. Tured out to be one of the best hair cuts I'd had for a while. Didn't come with a shave, unfortunately.

Or there's the time last summer I knocked 14 inches off the back of my head. Done for the benefit of hairless chemo patients, there was simply no remorse. Still, it was a peculiarly emotional experience in itself - you grow attached to your hair, as long as it is attached to your head. And the longer it grows the stronger the bond that develops between you and the length of dead body cells trailing your back.

This afternoon, Salma came over, promising a decent do depite she is an amateur at hair cutting. Apparantly she was borne into the skill and has mastered a generic cut after watching her mom and practicing on a few friends.

What the heck? I figured I'll give it a go. Who could pass up a free cut anyhow?

Turns out she did a wicked clean up of the near-mullet that was accidentally growing down my neck, although it was removed in the tiniest of snippets that left my back and neck littered with bits of hair just tiny enough to cause an unyielding itch - even after 2 showers!

I like the new look though. Might even let her have a go at the mohawk i want for the summer.