Sunday, October 14, 2007

10.14 GUINEA PIG

I am selling myself to science. Alright, so its not such an epic research study. But I am donating my time and my appetite to a research study that is examining the effects of a common sugar substitute on subsequent appetite. I'm doing it for interests sake and I'm doing it for some easy cash.

I made my way to the Queens Medical Centre which houses the University of Nottingham's Medical School. Here, I was weighed in at 8 stones and marked at 60 cm short. After completing a series of questionnaires including one on mood, which I have never used in my own research, but tried not to read too far into, I was sent home with a food and activity diary. Fun!

I will spend the upcoming two weekdays along with one weekend day recording my every gastronomical and physical move. In a few weeks I drink and eat on the lab's tab. The menu is bland: rice crispies and milk, artifically sweetened chocolate milkshake, and a buffet of pasta with tomato sauce and cheese. I will eat and I will drink. I will send staged electrical shocks to any passers by. I will disclose my profound emotions, expose my psyche...right, like I said, its not such an epic study...but I'm still technically a guinea pig.
All in the name of health science.