Monday, October 15, 2007

10.15 THE OTHER WAL-MART

This is ASDA, Britain's sister store to Wal-Mart. It should be the Mother Ship. It is a much better shopping experience to its North American version.

This could be because the majority of its floor is stocked with grocery rather than distasteful clothing and everyday housewares. And anybody who knows me knows I love to cruise the aisles, grocery list in hand.

I spend a lot of time here. Far too much. I made a resolution to visit only twice each week, buying only boxed and packaged goods. I pick up produce from the city market when I am able, although the competition at ASDA is fair with plenty of local produce and organic Lincolnshire dairy.

The place stocks just about everything I need. Although I once spent what seemed an eternity in search of a spatula only to learn they don't sell this crucial kitchen utensil. I wrote them a letter to which they kindly replied that they will consider this item in future stock.

I bet WAL-MART sells spatulas.