Sunday, October 21, 2007

10.21 COUNCIL HOUSE

It is Democracy Week in Nottingham - a prime opportunity to hassle local counsellors and committee reps for information and story ideas.

I ventured into the city armed (with a notepad and sharpie) and ready to tackle any resistance by my area representative.

I have been assigned to report from Ward 5 - a city burb called Mapperley - for this term and perhaps for my entire year of studies. It is a far-reaching and diverse ward that encompasses the hard-hit area of St Anns Well while also housing the city's most wealthy populous in areas like Mapperley Park.

In the Market Square I was surprised to receive a welcomed and cordial greeting on behalf of Coun Edwards. Hoping to wrench five or ten minutes from the guy, I was surprised when after more than two hours I could barely escape the conversation. Confiscating my pen and note pad, he guided me visually through Mapperley park with the aide a hand drawn map highlighting issues in each various areas of the ward. Prostitution along Forest Road, road safety on Ransom Drive, disgruntled residents in Thorneywood, and school closures in the Wells. Bonus, I got a tour of the Council House, including a history lesson on Nottingham and a debriefing of its more popular myths and legends.

I have to say, if it weren't for his reluctance to address the city's waste disposal problem, he'd have my sure vote simply because his people are his priority. His work ethic is impressive and his knowledge of the city remarkable. He is also cause for most of Nottingham's revolutionary traffic regulations which has seen the successful uptake of the public transport system and a ceiling on auto traffic in most areas. Impressive. He is insensitive to cyclists, however. Right to the heart, that one.

Anyhow, it was a successful day of networking. I have a host of story ideas worth following up and some insight into the story of Nottingham. And all it cost me was my pen.