Wednesday, October 31, 2007

10.31 FORBIDDEN FRUIT

C'est L'Hallowe'en!

One of my favorite holidays. Surprisingly it isn't especially popular in the UK. I suppose this is because they've watered down the thrill of going out in costume with their frequent "Fancy Dress" parties.

Tonight was just another excuse to get ourselves all fancied up.

I have a history of getting hung up on costume ideas, like when I work my age 4-6 tiger costume until I was 12 and my mother had to detach the tail from my back and restitch it to my ass. The pants fit like capris - I was ahead of my time in terms of fashion sense.

Anyhow, this year I repeated a costume idea I'd done a few Halowe'ens back. I was a tree that year. The key was that Casey and Erica were tie-dye wearing granola eating tree huggers. That meant I was smothered with loving all night long - and you know how affectionate I can be.

It wore me out and broke me in all at once.

This year I decided to be a tree once again, simply because I own a pair of brown spandex running tights that make a handy trunk. I was going to grab a set of crutches and be the Major Oak (see http://3sixty6.blogspot.com/2007_09_01_archive.html if you dont get it) But my housemates insisted there needed to be a spooky twist to my costume.

The scary factor must be the matter that distinguishes Haloween from the ordinary Fancy Dress. Pardon that oxymoron.

So, I threw a (plastic) serpentine satan around my neck, grabbed a few apples from the yard, and deemed them forbidden fruit. What could be more frightening than the possibility of painful labour and the frightful fashion of figleaf lengerie.

Apparantly it doesn't shake a rotten tomato in her boots.