Thursday, October 25, 2007

10.25 APPLE A DAY

An apple a day...my arse.

I've been sick. Sick and tired - or tired and consequently sick, if I can infer causality here. Its a vicious cycle that was begun despite a healthy diet including at least one large, juicy, apple picked fresh off the tree in my backyard each day.

You can argue that I haven't seen a doctor yet. But in this day and age, doctors don't often make house calls (or perhaps they do, in places like Gibraltar), and so there is little challenge to keeping them and their stethoscopes and their lectures on eating five fruit servings away.

If we advance the old adage into the present context, with online health information and over-the-counter pharmaceuticals at hand, I am able to counter the argument and suggest that I have been self-diagnosed with the common cold and followed my own prescription to the chemists for a extra strength supply of Acetaminophen, a life-saver not naturally occurring in the average orchard fruit and in effect a "doctored" up solution to my stuffy nose, cough, and headache.

Consider
this a piece of anecdotal evidence (and a lesson to all of you Granny Smith aficionados) that an apple a day isn't gonna do the trick.