Saturday, September 1, 2007

09.01 THE GENE POOL

I share a lot in common with my Nannu Julian (besides our stunning looks). For one, he studied and eventually taught physical education, the root of kinesiology. I also suspect that my slow-twitch fibres come from his lineage since he has run more marathons than I know (and still exhibits superhuman stamina for an eighty year old today). We’ll see how far the gene pool stretched when I cover 26.2 miles in Nottingham next week.

The first piano I played was in his house. I can’t say that I am as talented as he, but the shared interest is there. He is even so inclined as to have written a number of musical scores for the local and national orchestras. I don’t write music, but besides this, Nannu Julian is also a poet and essayist. My work here is not even a close reflection of the quality of his writing but I’ve still got some time to practice and catch up.

And this is what I’ll be doing in Nottingham. Tonight, by chance, I learned that a younger (not-yet-Nannu) Julian himself lived and studied in Nottingham and Loughborough. Our interests are paralleled our accomplishments not so in line. I have a lot of catching up to do. But at least I have somebody to (figuratively – and you thought I was short!) look up to.