Saturday, September 8, 2007

09.08 ENGLISH BREAKFAST

I couldn't resist. I picked up some crumpets and Twinnings, the traditional English tea, for breakfast.

Thank heaven's for Mr. Twinnings, who catered a tea house for ladies back in the 18th century, enabling our sex to socialize in a refined, pinky-pointed manner while loathsome men engaged in politics over ales at public houses.
His move, with the aide of a bunch of eager women, catalysed a revolution in the image of the caffeinated cocktail. What was once a commoner's beverage now infused the elite, uniting the classes nation-wide.

Good old Mr. Twinnings. Unfortunately it takes more than tea to relieve disparity. Today, Britain is socio-economically divided socially more than ever. On average, Women receive net earnings of nearly 30% in comparison to me at the workplace and often lose ground during pregnancy. In addition, income and education status is segregated by regions across the country, but also by neighborhoods within each town.

This morning, I considered my own socio-economic status as I enjoyed my bourgeois meal. The outlook is grim when I consider my budget, my travel goals, and my previous standard of living.

I wonder how long I could live off of crumpets and tea. The thought steals a fleeting moment before I baste my british bun with preminum roasted organic peanut butter (a rare culinary fusion). I am feeling a bit like the Frugal Gourmet (that is, if you accept organic foods as essentially gourmet, or at least admit that they are in the same priceline as premium and rare foods).

Crumpets and tea. Crumpets and tea.
Relinquishing past luxuries. Reverting to student life.
I drop one more point on the socio-economic ratings.