Tuesday, September 18, 2007

09.18 PLASTIC PACHYDERM

I felt as though I was being watched.

Cautiously, I turned away from the apple tree in my garden where I was picking some of the early ripened fruit. My eyes met this curious creature.

Standing about two feet tall on the edge of the garden is this plastic pachyderm, standing plumb with an offering of artificial daisys. The elephant's unctuous stance barely disguises a fierce gaze, its eyes projecting sideways and surveying the garden from a wide angle.

What an oddity. How did I not notice this garden gnome gone wrong before

I consider chucking an apple his way as a peace offering.
But the angry look makes you wonder what he's got in his left hoof.

A bundle of apples tucked into the front of my sweater, I grab my prize picture and make a hasty dash to the kitchen, bolting the door and hoping the suspicious lawn ornament stays firmly planted in the ground.