Tuesday, September 11, 2007

09.11 THE BELL INN

The Bell Inn is one of three local pubs which lays claim to being the oldest in Britain. The property it is on was first obtained by a group of Carmelite Friars who arrived in Nottingham in 1276. During the 16th century reign of Henry VIII, it was converted to a secular alehouse, named the Angelus Bell.

I joined the public at their house this afternoon for a (half) pint. How embarrassing, I still can’t manage a full glass. I am a converting, however, from the grape to the hops, and need to begin someplace.

I ordered a Strongbow. From previous samplings, I know this British brew is a sweet cider that goes down like a glass of wine. I am also a sucker for a label and am drawn to its association with the archer. This is Robin Hood County, after all.

I noticed a number of patrons on the patio this afternoon drinking what appeared to be a red ale.
Curious, I asked the waiter.
“It’s a Snakebite,” he replied, as though this was common knowledge, “black current and lager.”
“Any kind of lager?” I asked.
“Whatever you want.” He smiled.


If you look back to my entry on July 18th, this is not the Snakebite I know.
Since I had already exposed my ignorance about the topic, I continued on with the questions for the sake of clearing my confusion.

“So what do you call Guiness and lager?”
“That’s a “Beggar’s Black Velvet…”

Now the guy is certain I’m a budget traveller.

“…And a proper Black Velvet is Guiness with champagne.”

That sounds lovely.
Here is a chance to boast my own bartending knowledge. I bet he doesn’t know about the Canadian-created Red Eye, a 50-50 combination of lager with clamato.

I pause and consider how even this is more lowly than the Beggar’s Black Velvet, and humble myself.