Thursday, September 27, 2007

09.27 TASTE TESTER

I have learned from my dad the patience to give solicitors the time of day, to hear them out, let them do their job, because a frustrating occupation it must be to harrass people for personal details and information.


I have learned from my research studies to give solicitors the time of day, because I was one of them.


Today I was asked my a woman working for a market analyst to sample dairy and soya milk products. What's in it for me? Free milk and a couple quid for 15 minutes of my time. She had interuppted my en route to the grocery store for the very purpose of picking up milk.


I get a kick out of participating in this sort of research. Looking too far into the research, I assumed that the milk cartons before me were disguised under the incorrect labels. They can't fool me, I thought. At the end of the study, she informed me that indeed, each product was in its correct container. Maybe deceit would have lead to ethical liabilities.


Nauseated from the sampling, at the end of the study I resolved to survive on calcium supplements for the next few days, looking forward to dry breakfast cereal and black coffee for a while. But the researcher sent me away with four containers of milk products, which would otherwise have gone to total waste. I lugged these home hoping my housemate drinks milk, loves life.