Thursday, November 15, 2007

11.15 BINGHAM

It's been a while since I left the city. Every now and then I need a bit of travel - even if it isn't very far and wide. Sometimes a hop, skip and jump is satisfying enough.

Consider the day in the county I spent with Casey and Jen this summer. Never would have supposed that a day spent in Leamington and Essex would satisfy my exploratory needs.

This afternoon, I made my way through the countryside to Bingham. It's a small town just east of Notts. The visit was more work than lesiure - I was there for a story interview. At the same time, it was nice to see this quaint place, to remind myself that there is more to Nottinghamshire than Notts itself.

When I arrived, the sun was setting on Bingham. The red sky burned brightly off the Mapperley made bricks of old buildings. Mongers in the sqaure were taking down their market stalls and I caught the last glimpse of what seemed to be a true farmer's market - one where the clientele are the farmers! They were selling rakes and garden tools (gardening - farming...close enough), birding equipment and mechanical tools. No vegetables in sight - but seeds and fertilizers galore.

I passed through Bingham, took a breath of fresh farmers air, and made my way back to the city after an afternoon's work.