Sunday, November 18, 2007

11.18 A MAN'S WORLD?

Some say journalism is a man's world - but I've encountered both women and men in high places in this industry.

Still, the UK is plagued by workplace inequalities among men and women - and its a priortiy for worker's unions - the NUJ included - to put an end to this.

Yet I find myself at the NUJ conference having dinner among a gander of guys - the gaggle of girls poised and powdered across the dining area at a separate table. I felt more than welcomed and perfectly at ease among the men - and indeed blame the circulating testosterone for my near miss at an order of blood pudding with liver and onions for dinner. I settled for the chicken roast, despite the urge to show these boys how to eat like a woMan.

It was a lovely evening and by the end of it both sexes emalgamated in the lounge for a few drinks and an impromptu song and dance. But I got to thinking where the naturally tendency to segregate emerges and where it ceases to exist.

I also got to wondering whether any of the girls had braved the blood and liver.