Friday, November 16, 2007

11.16 HOT POT

The house managed to organize enough to get together for dinner and a movie tonight. Well, a movie then dinner.

We saw the "epic" Elizabeth: The Golden Years. It's the sequel to the original film about the virg queen starring Cate Blanchet. I thought it was remarkable in that it stirred some emotion - besides the feeling of hunger stirring in my stomach.

After the film, we made our way the a place called the Hot Pot. Its an international buffet near the Lace Market area of Notts with a lineup of Indian, Thai, Mexican, Italian and British style food - among others.

I've always been partial to buffets, for three specific reasons:

1) Buffets are antisocial. At any given time, there seems to always be at least one dinner guest missing at the table. They can usually be retrieved at the dessert bar, deciding between chocolate torte and blackcurrent pie;

2) Buffets are unhygenic. More hands have been on that chocolate torte than you can imagine. More germs have been expired over that blackcurrent pie than you want to know. I say stick with the fruit salad for some antioxidants. You might need a boost. And finally;

3) Buffets encourage gluttony. You always have the third option of digging into the chocolate tort, taking off with a slice of blackcurrent pie, and topping it off with a heaping helping of fruit salad. Andy why not take a dip at the fondue while you're at it.

Before tonight it had been over a year since I last ate at a buffet-style restaurant. I have to admit, the atmosphere here was great and the food was good enough that I tipped over the gluttonous edge. It satisfied the grumbling growl in my stomach - a meal fit for a queen, or an entire Queendom if you will.

I'm sure Elizabeth wasn't partial to buffets so who am I to complain.