Tuesday, March 10, 2009

03.10 LAYOVER LUNCH

I meet a lot of people like me, living in London, miles and miles of ocean or land distancing them from family and long-time friends. Often, the speak of missing family, mostly on holidays and special occasions.

I miss the little things. Coffee at the Second Cup in Westdale, Sunday mornings at The Maple Leaf with my parents or skipping town to have dinner with my sis in Toronto.

And this is what made today so remarkable. I 'did lunch' with Clair and her two co-workers Don and Aerin. She phone a few weeks ago to mention a layover on her way through London to Cape Town. We had the whole of 3-4 hours to trek through town to The Cinnamon Club for a fashionable lunch near Westminster and a quick catch up on life, work and the everyday - the weather. It was such an ordinary event, a few free hours on a workday to catch-up, and yet such a special occasion for a Tuesday afternoon in London.

Although I'll see her in Paris in May, it was still disheartening to let go of the hug.