Thursday, March 12, 2009

03.12 TOURISTS

It's my lunch break - I've taken a short walk, just past the monument to the Great Siege (http://3sixty6.blogspot.com/2009/03/0309-seige.html), to have a view of the Tower of London and Tower Bridge.

A group of tourists - students most likely at this time of day during this time of year - reminded me to appreciate the view, the fact that I'm a stone's throw from these remarkable structures, laden with history, still standing, waiting to be discovered time and again as each new group of tourists are coralled through.

This is how I spent my lunch break. In Windsor, I remember eating lunch in the staff kitchen watching the local crossdresser making his rounds in the bins, clad in a dinghy yellow housecoat and pink slippers. Poor soul. Strange man. My heart warms up at the thought, but confess, I don't miss him very much.

Similarly, I do miss the Detroit skyline and have a soft spot for the Ambassador Bridge (even after they paintind it aquamarine.) - but admit, it is really flipping amazing to live in London.