Saturday, March 14, 2009

03.14 PICNIC

Rako and Claudia are down for a visit this weekend - it's great to see old friends. I have had so many visitors since moving to London, that I've developed an itinerary of sorts for enjoying a day in the city. Top of the list is the Borough Market. It is easily one of my favourite places in London and any foodie - or any non-foodie with an appetite - will share my sentiment. I'll admit, Rako was a bit overwhelmed by the cheese - he's not a fan, and cheese is what this market does best. The look on his face when he saw the Raclette...oh my. You'd have thought that they were grilling human flesh...

Claudia, on the other hand, was all about the cheese and inevitably left with a few purchases that I'm sure she was please not to have to share with her husband. It was great to have her along - I would never have thought to order what appears to be a simple pasty from the Argentinian stall. Indeed, it was a traditional empanada complete with chimichurri sauce for dipping. It was scrumptulescent - and even met her authentic Mexican standards.

I took them for a long walk along southbank, with a nip into the Tate, to work off the nibbles before meeting up with friends for curry on Brick Lane. A splendid day with plenty of time for catching up and a little bit of gossip from the old lab..