Wednesday, March 25, 2009

03.25 OUTDOOR TUBE

As you might begin to sense from this blog, I spend a lot of time commuting - by foot, by bike, by train and by tube (if I'm not flying across the ocean).

Generally speaking, I avoid the tube at all costs - but today, I found myself waiting at an outdoor station, under a warm, humid, partly sunny sky - and it wasn't all bad.

This is the South Kensington tube station. The structure oposite the rail tracks looks almost like an ancient aquaduct by the angle (and distance) of this picture. It is rather pretty, with the trees edging over and the spots of graffitti here and there. In no time, a bustling train will overwhelm the tranquility of the scene - but it is just that fact that makes this moment worth capturing.

Soon enough I'll be trapped in the confines of another rattling tube train with another bunch of strangers breaking the unwritten prohibition of smelly-food items in the dark underground distracting myself with another heavy hard-cover novel...