Sunday, March 29, 2009

03.29 ROWING

It's the famous, annual Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race !

I headed across the city to Hammersmith to watch the rowers whiz by on the bend of the Thames River. I didn't know who to root for, but from the looks of things here, I think Cambridge had the lead.

Oxford took the race in the end. But what I realised was that it was not so much the rowers I was excited by, but the crowd. Hunderds - thousands - flocked to the waterfront to watch the sport. As the rowers approached the bend, fans on the north side of the river who could see them nearing began to cheer. There was a slow, steady crescendo to the point when the rowers were in full view under the Hammersmith Bridge and everyone was howling in full throttle.

The two squads were moving alarmingly quick and I could barely catch the photo. There speed appeared hastened by a fleet of motorized boats in hot pursuit - media, medics and security.

It got me all excited about the weather warming and getting back into some competitive action!