Saturday, February 21, 2009

02.21 RICHMOND RIDE

It arrived. The perfect day to introduce my bike to the streets of London.

I pumped the tires, shifted the seat, tested the gears and strapped on my helmet. And out the door we went.

It took a good while to get rolling. It's been nearly 2 years since i last clipped into these pedals, and I've toppled enough times in the past to know better than to be too confident.

But soon enough I was cruising, weaving through traffic until I reached a clear stretch, reached 30 clicks and might even have yelped a little 'weeeeee!'

I decided to cruise along to Richmond Park, where a few friends have recommended running and cycling through. Mapquest showed an easy 8 mile leg to get there, but of course, I got lost. In twice the distance, I arrived - ready to picnic.

I only skimmed the skirts of the Park, having taken a while to arrive. But from the view I took, it is quite a vast space, with some rolling hills and trees spotting the landscape here and there. Parks in England are not very much like parks in Canada. They do seem to enjoy their wide-openess and it's hard to find secluded woods. Maybe it gives the impression that their land is bigger than it is?

In any event, I sat with my sandwhich and watched runners cross the canal, taking in the view, enjoying the balmy weather, admiring my olive ride. Giddy.