Wednesday, February 11, 2009

02.11 I SPY

You know that feeling that somebody's watching you?
Well I don't. I've become completely oblivious to this.

Living in a populous city, at least in my opinion, makes any average person more likely to be seen/watched/observed. People are always people watching; and there are just more people here to do it.

And if it's not somebody's little eye spying, then its probably a camera lens that's following your trail. CCTV is huge in the UK. There are 1.5 million camera's installed, nation-wide. It's a security system, aimed at deterring crime and providing evidence of criminal activity.

Plenty of people are against it, worried for their privacy. As long as there are no installations in my own home, and so long as camera's aren't linked to an audio system with a creepy paternal voice ragining demands and announcing wake-up calls throughout the city, I guess I'm okay with it.

But there's still something strange about spotting one, tucked in a corner, or way up above, where you hadn't seen one before, waiting for you to entertain its view...