Monday, May 3, 2010

05.03 HARDWARE

'Proudly Canadian'. The logo spans the front of Rona, where Reno and I scanned the aisles for, err, a strip of cherry oak wood. (Still the logo doesn't resound as patriotically as 'Canadian Tire'). Not really sure what exactly this was for besides the fact that my father will be installing it at my sister's place this week.

Going to the hardware store with my father is an age-old tradition. When I was a kid, we would frequent Canadian Tire then tour Home Hardware before scouring a few paint shops en route to a home that seemed always under refurbishment - and still does. I used to collect the colour strips in the paint aisle, spending the drive home carefully selecting my favourite - usually on the basis of the colour's name rather than its hue. Always favoured colours that had the word 'sea' in them, or that somehow reminded me of the beach.

Rona didn't stock cherry oak, or even a flat metal strip that might have served whatever purpose the latest 'Reno'vations called for. A good enough reason to spend the afternoon on another epic hardware-store-crawl...

(Some things never change.)