Sunday, May 16, 2010

05.16 GADGETS

Motivated. Motivated? My eyes opened from a night's deep sleep to clear skies. Sticking with my resolution to cycle weekly, I dragged my body out of bed, out of flannel and into spandex, rehydrated and set off for a loop around Richmond Park.

I didn't quite clip into the pedals before realising something was amis. It all began a few days ago when I thought I had to replace a flat. Took the wheel of, only to realise there was no puncture - the tire just needed some air. So Dan helped me realign the wheel perfectly before securing it. Piece of cake.

But I had barely left the front door today when I realised the odometer wasn't clocking my motion. It happens time-to-time when the sensor is not aligned perfectly. Drives me bananas. I leant over the handrail to fiddle with the gadget, only to find we had replaced the wheel with the sensor on the opposite side.

Sigh. Removed the wheel, fliped it round, aligned it perfectly and secured it. Off I went - at 0.0 km/h according to the measure. Sod it. I don't need all the data. I whiled the miles instead focusing on my cadence, taking in the scene and trying to forget that my fingers were freezing.

The last straw came as a cloud, rolling in tow of a gust of wind and a spatter of rain. It was at this point the odometer, in its last breath, wheezed a reading of 99.99 km/h, before going blank again. I enjoyed the momentary time-motion warp, imagining I could actually move that fast (wondering why the odometer - my odometer - even climbed to such a high speed), before trollying home, hungry, wet and in for a day of motionlessness DVD viewing.