Monday, July 2, 2007

07.01 CANADA HOUSE

Like I mentioned, my story begins in Canada. I could think of no better occasion to inaugurate this photo journal than on the First of July. It is Canada Day and I am dutifully wearing a favorite pair of DeFeet brand socks, designed with the Canadian flag logo.

The socks were manufactured in North Carolina.

I decide it’s too hot outside to be wearing socks. Especially imports. I take them off, slide into a pair of flip flops and head out the door.

A few blocks away from my home is a more appropriate symbol of patriotism. I call it Canada House. If you are ever in Windsor, head over to the corner of Lincoln and Erie Streets and you will see more maple leafs than the penalty box at Toronto’s Air Canada Centre has capacity.

I am paying my respects as a Canadian citizen to this maple leaf shrine. Up close, the house is at once both astonishing and amusing. The mailbox alone has five emblems and is mounted onto a wood-carved maple leaf beside the front door. I have driven past it in the evening when it is lit up as though it were Christmas in July. Solemnly entering the red and white gate, I make my way past a drape of flags to the porch where I hesitate before ringing the doorbell. I feel a little out of place. I should have kept my socks on. Just the same, I was hoping to wish the people who live here a Happy Canada Day but instead am left alone on the porch with the sound of a windchime, most likely picked up at a Niagara Falls souvenir shop, answering my ring.

I leave content in assuming that the homeowners are happy today.