Friday, July 13, 2007

07.13 THE FASTEST PAISAN

Tony Didonencio and Armando Bonfiglio were among hundreds of Italians on Erie Street this Friday night. While most were perched on patios, strings of twirled noodles lacing their hungry jaws to bottomless bowls, these two were twirling the laces on their flats at the Running Factory's Beat Beethoven 8KM Road Race.

So was I. It was my first race in Windsor for over two years, yet it seemed as though little had changed. Armando was among many familiar faces at the start line. He carried me through a 40 minute 10K nearly a decade ago - a time that remained my personal best until last spring.

This time, I was just barely ahead of him, my pace sustained by the smells of pizza and pesto moreso than the swash of gatorade I choked down between heaving breaths every 2 km.
After the run, Armando and I exchanged splits and stats as we replenished together among a hoard of sweaty, spandexed runners corralled in front of St. Angela's Church as they crossed the finish line.

He won his age group, first among six other men aged 60-64 just barely over 35 minutes. Incredible for a guy his age. I call him The Fastest Paisan.