Tuesday, July 10, 2007

07.10 PROLACTINOMAS

Hypochondriacs like to talk about their conditions. It wasn't long after I introduced myself to Crissy Appleby at a mutual friend's barbecue tonight before one of us mentioned pituitary adenomas. She and I share the riveting experience of hearing the words brain and tumor in the same diagnostic sentence.

Nearly two years ago, I was diagnosed with idiopathic hyperprolactinemia, or elevated blood prolactin, a condition with a prevalence rate of up to 10% among the general population (Serri et al., 2003). Prolactin, a naturally occurring hormone controlled by the pituitary gland is often caused by the presence of a benign tumor or adenoma in the gland. In my case there is no identified cause, my MRI producing a picture perfect black and white image of healthful cerebrum.
Prolactin is most associated with pregnancy, when it is secreted by the pituitary at higher circulating levels in order to regulates the menstrual cycle and facilitate lactation. That's right, it turns the body into a breast milk factory.

My pituitary gland has tricked my body into behaving as though I am pregnant, at least at the hormonal level. Fortunately the package doesn't include water retention or morning sickness and I don't wear pants with elastic waistlines. My blood prolactin levels are only just slightly above the upper level considered normal. Still, this excess is enough to throw my body for a loop, lowering estrogen production and causing irregular menstrual cycles. My body has its own built in contraceptive system and instead uses the birth control pill as a hormone replacement therapy.

Fortunately I am as fertile as the soil in my backyard. And there are more tomatoes in our garden this year than I can eat. Still, it is frightening to consider the disarray of my hypothalamic-pituitary axis, the primary site of hormonal secretion. This is why women like myself and Crissy fire off stats from our latest blood test results and carry on about MRIs. There is a great deal of consolation in commonality.