Saturday, July 21, 2007

07.20 RETIREMENT

Today was my last day of work at the Windsor Vascular Lab. The girls bought cake to celebrate my retirement. They'll find any excuse for chocolate cake.

I have been involved with the WVL since 2001, when I took up a placement there during my studies in Human Kinetics at the University of Windsor.

I received training as an ultrasound technician and also assist with the walking rehabilitation program for patients who have claudication, a symptom of leg pain caused by poor blood circulation. I was so intrigued by this debilitating symptom that while attending McMaster University I also conducted three research studies on site for my master's thesis.

Since January, I have been back on staff part-time, probing around patients' feet for pulses and pressure readings. I got to know many of the patients here on a personal level...right down to the ticklish spots on their toes.

Many of our patients are older adults who confide in the staff and seek companionship during their visits. This afternoon, I scanned Ed, a patient who was a part of the walking program when I first began working here. Catching up with him meant going back six years when he was a regular patient in the exercise program. He told me once that I haven't lived until I've darned a sock and milked a cow.

I have since darned a sock but have yet to milk a cow.

I will miss the interaction with staff here, and especially with the patients. Being around older adults is invigorating, much like being around children. Except seniors make me feel a lot younger. They tell me I am merely a Spring Chicken.

Often they talk about the weather, their garden, and their grandchildren. They inevitably complain about their most recent visit to the doctor. Aside from this, there is always a store of knowledge and insights and incredible stories to be tapped into. Their conversation has been a rewarding aspect of this job that I will miss as I move on.

And what shall I move on to? Now that I'm retired, I might just live it up and find myself a cow to milk. But then this is an early retirement - perhaps I'll save that one for the golden years.