Sunday, July 29, 2007

07.29 TIM TAMS

When I'm craving Timmy's its usually not a double double that I'm after. Tim Tam is a brand of Australian chocolate biscuit, or "bickie" as an Aussie would say that hit the caffeine craving like no coffee could.

Like the legendary hockey great, Horton, the Tim that went down in the books before becoming immortalized on a mass-market label, was also a star athlete. In this case, Tim Tam is the name of the 1958 Kentucky Derby Champion.

I tasted my first Tim Tam when I was visiting Australia a few years back. Since then, I've remained hooked on the sweet treat thanks to a steady supply of overseas shipments from Erica. That's what friends are for.

I admit, just eating a cookie from the box is good, but if administered correctly, the intake of a Tim Tam can be like finding the G-spot on your tongue. This is how it's done:

1. Carefully remove one cookie at a time from the container. Tim Tams are a delicacy and should not be approached with the mannerism of Sesame Street's Cookie Monster.

2. Carefully bite off two opposite corners of the "bickie." The bite should span a radius of only a half centimeter or so. The more cookie you can leave behind, the more there will be to melt in your mouth.

3. Dip one bitten end of the Tim Tam into a warm drink. A Tim Horton's coffee makes for a splendid Canadian-Aussie fusion.

4. Quickly suck the drink through the opposite end of the Tim Tam, using the cookie like a chocolate straw, until you can taste a bit of the warm beverage.

5. The centre of the cookie should be slightly melted, gooey, and just barely starting to coat your hand in chocolate. Indulge.

6. Hide the biscuits in a secure place(not a cookie jar, that's too obvious), lest you become obligated to share them,until your next craving for a Tim Tam hit.

I shared a box of Tim Tams with a few friends tonight, one of whom had just returned from a visit to Australia and brought back a stock supply himself. There were a few cookie monsters among us who needed a lesson in the art of savouring, but not a crumb was left. I am lead to think that I could profit tremendously if I opened a Tim Tam drive through in Windsor.