Tuesday, July 3, 2007

07.03 IRON WOMAN

Casey dominated the previous photo journal, with more appearances in my life last year than anybody else. Today is her debut in three sixty six. She swung by for a visit this evening, claiming to be in top form since she started including more iron in her diet. She does look well. It is the first time she has felt positive about her health in months. Casey shares the habit with many men of avoiding doctors and ignoring symptoms. Her negligence makes me anxious, and if it could the hypochondriac in me would shuttle her to the nearest clinic for a full round of blood tests and a urinalysis. Still, I'm glad to see the home remedy helping.

It is a relief to hear she is physically well but I wonder if she might also be going mad when she mentions an appetite for liver. Despite a tendency to acquire a liking for awful foods that are nutritious, I have never had cravings for liver. My preferred source of iron is molasses. A few years back when I heard that molasses is chock full of the nutrient, I started pouring it over everything from pancakes to potatoes. I happen to have a molasses cookie on hand that I share with the iron woman. It should hold her over until she gets her hands on an involuntary bovine organ donor.