Monday, July 30, 2007

07.30 OVERWEIGHT

I consider myself a minimalist, but have come to realize this is only justifiable by relative terms. What is essential by modern standards extends beyond what is simply necessary for survival and includes all sorts of paraphernalia for thriving in a socially- and technologically charged environment.

Somehow, my survival package includes more than the capacity deemed appropriate by most major commercial airlines. Twenty pounds overweight, my suitcase will cost an arm and a leg to get onboard my flight. The cost of a lower limb is not worth carrying a dozen pair of shoes, half of which would consequently cease to be of use.

Packing is a chore. It reminds me, to my dismay, that I am an accumulator of things, of items that are not necessary for survival, but that I have come to value by imprudent reasoning or material desire. It reveals a disabling behavioural pattern that rationalizes unnecessary purchases by an immediate gratification but then exacerbates ungratifying anxieties with the arrival of a sobering credit card bill.

Without a steady income at least until the new year, financial stress at the point of purchase should prevent this negligent pattern from occurring. Every purchase I make logged into a budgetary spreadsheet, providing a blatant reminder that breakfast cereal is necessary while another pair of pyjamas to enjoy my bran flakes in is not.