Saturday, July 21, 2007

07.21 THE WIG

I have been growing my locks for nearly three years. Initially the intent was driven by vanity. With the blunt Cleopatra-esque cut I was sporting there would be no prospects for an Alexander the Great to suddenly sweep me off my feet.

But after Casey donated her hair to the Canadian Cancer Society's drive for wigs, my motives became philanthropic. I was inspired. My hair could actually be used to manufacture a wig for a person who has lost their own to chemotherapy.

Donations of 8 to 10 inches of healthy, untreated, and uncoloured hair are accepted by various organizations. Today, I cropped nearly 12 inches in one blow. It was a dramatic change that left me suddenly self-conscious as though I had gone bald myself.

But any reservations I had about donating my pony tail were eliminated when I examined a patient at work on Friday who had lost her hair to chemotherapy. She didn't wear a wig nor did she conceal her scalp with a bandanna or hat. I realized she is among the few fortunate enough to remain confident despite the most obvious side effect of this treatment.

For others, the dramatic change in appearance can become extremely distressing.
How could I not share of this very natural and renewable resource? My hair can grow back.

I will admit, growing the length was a long process, and maintaining a healthy ponytail took a lot of effort. At times, it was tedious. But knowing that one donation might help an individual cope with the harrowing difficulties of cancer treatment is well worth it, and makes even the worst hair day feel pretty good after all.